DIY Beauty | Coconut oil

February 27, 2013

hercules coconut oil, coconut oil

As far as the beauty world is concerned, coconut oil is not new. Many bloggers and random friends have been telling me about the ‘skills’ that coconut oil has. I finally caved and bout a 100ml bottle from Pick n Pay last week. I planned to use it in conjunction with castor and amla oil in my hair.

I used it on my face. I will never go back. I’ve tried Tissue oil, olive oil and Rosehip oil on my face before and there are huge differences between them and coconut oil.

1. Coconut oil is cheaper: At around R10 for 100ml it’s one of the cheapest oils available.

2. Coconut oil is readily available. I found coconut oil at my local Pick n pay AND Clicks.

3. You can use it on your face AND hair.

4. This is the kicker – It has barely any smell. Yes, no floral, no minty – nothing.

5. It sinks in to my face and once it’s in I can’t feel it.

How I Use it

After washing and drying my face I apply a liberal amount of coconut oil into my palm and massage it on my face in a circular motion.I then apply sunblock and bb cream.

I’ve been using coconut oil on my face for a week now and haven’t broken out, got any blackheads and have experienced no oilyness.

Repurchase? Oh yes!

• Reply Lauren G February 27, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Coconut oil is brilliant, it makes my hair and skin unbelievably soft.

• Reply zaamissbowtie February 27, 2013 at 1:45 pm

I’ve also used it on my hair – But i’ll post about my mixture soon 🙂 I don’t want to spend money on a moisturiser ever again!

• Reply steph-zn February 28, 2013 at 2:45 am

I love coconut oil especially for my hair (mixed with mustard oil & amla oil – perfect conditioner!), however I do not use coconut oil on my face due to my sensitive, acne prone skin.

• Reply zaamissbowtie March 1, 2013 at 9:27 am

mustard oil? Wow that’e the first time I’ve heard of that 🙂 I also have quite pimple-prone skin, so I’m keeping the coconut oil to a minimum

• Reply Michelle Roberts March 1, 2013 at 9:14 am

I must try this!!!!!! Thanks!

• Reply Andrea September 22, 2013 at 3:06 pm

You should buy organic, cold-pressed coconut oil (which would naturally be in solid form and then melt on contact with skin) for the best results!

• Reply Mamiky November 20, 2014 at 9:53 pm

Wow I decided to try hercules coconut oil for my face..it has been 2 weeks now and Oh boy I love the results,my skin is soft and I dnt have to break the bank for facial products.

• Reply Zaahirah Bhamjee November 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm

Yes! coconut oil is fantastic! If you want even better results you can buy a food-grade coconut oil from a health store which is processed even better and works out to a similar price too 🙂

• Reply nonhlanhla February 24, 2015 at 5:24 pm

Please help me I can not find this oil in supermarket i need coconut oil, olive oil please help me to get this item

• Reply Zaahirah Bhamjee March 4, 2015 at 10:16 am

You can find Nature’s Choice at many larger Pick n Pays in the health food section.

• Reply Rita March 2, 2015 at 9:21 pm

Can we use this specific Hercules coconut oil for weight loss because on the internet I saw people recommending it for weigh loss as well and I just need to know if this one is organic and if I can actually take it.

• Reply Zaahirah Bhamjee March 4, 2015 at 10:14 am

I suggest you buy coconut oil from a health store that is specifically safe for eating. Nature’s Choice is popular and well priced.

• Reply collins August 2, 2015 at 8:35 pm

just started using coconut oil on my body since all body creams gives me hussles ., I even shed a drop in the bathd while bathing.

cnt wait for my radiant skin

• Reply Emma January 6, 2017 at 4:07 pm

I know this is an old post but thought I’d share my experience of coconut oil… I love it for my hair! I use a small drop because I have fine hair that is prone to oiliness. I rub it in my hands for even coverage and coat the ends of hair with it. you can also tie your into a low ponytail and do this. whatever oil is left on my hands is spread on the top of my head. It really helps with flyaway frizzy ends. I don’t recommend it for acne-prone skin as it is highly comedogenic (blocks pores). It is great to use on hands, feet elbows, knees (depending on whether you break out in these areas) and under the eyes for moisture and an even skin tone. Gorimas spice shop in Durban sells it quite cheaply but if you buy the Parachute brand don’t eat it. The fact that you don’t need to use a lot of it to work makes it value for money, too. Hope this helps any new visitors!

• Reply samy April 26, 2017 at 10:24 am

Coconut oil is fantastic fir hair and after bath moisturiser all over. Even in women’s dark places:). I already look radiant fir 46. I use the cook g coconut oil and coffee for weightless and for keeping ur mind functioning well. It keeps u regular.