I’ve been reviewing beauty boxes since their inception in South Africa. I started with Glambox, then moved to Glossybox and now I am back to the Rubybox/Glambox partnership. If you haven’t come across the Beauty Box concept yet, it’s a service that sends a box containing 4-6 beauty samples every month for a subscription fee. At the moment in South Africa we have two big brands doing this Rubybox and Glossybox. Rubybox costs R100 while Glossybox costs R130.
At first I was ecstatic about the boxes, finally South Africa was getting Birchbox and I compared it to Michelle Phan’s My Glam Bag which is very, very cute and come with a cheap little make-up pouch every month. Those subscriptions are $10 and pounds so our pricing is really comparable. So why my sudden complaints?
1. Too many foil packets – I really feel that 4 foil packets is not worth the subscription cost. If I go to Edgars or Stuttafords, the SA will provide me with those samples anyway. Sometimes they even provide a weeks supply.
2. Perfume samples – Many women love the perfume samples, but I have the a qualm, it really is something I can get myself and well, I have about 20 at home right now. The chances of me choosing one of the random scents over my own perfumes is slim.
3. Poor service – Last month Rubybox sent me two Rubyboxes. I don’t know why. I haven’t checked whether I was debited. I just thought, what the heck.
4. Poor quality of samples – Last month the Rubybox acme with a sample of Camilla Nail polish. I don’t know what this brand is or where I can buy this. I tried the polish out and don’t really want to know.
5. Surplus of unused products and boxes – I have 2 boxes full of samples I don’t use.
6. There is little value in using a product once or twice – How am I able to decide on a products worth if I can only use it once.
I would rather just save the money every month and out it towards cosmetics I actually would use. So, as of today I am cancelling my Beauty Box Subscriptions and I am only going to sign up for specific months that promise to deliver. It was fun, but I’m on a tight budget and really can’t afford to use it on a box I won’t use.