New hair!!

September 20, 2012

ombre hair by zaamissbowtie

Just before I got sick this week I had an unconrtollable urge. An urge to colour my hair. As you’ve seen I have thick, black hair which I had never dyed in my entire life. I knew it was going to be a challenge to get it to any other colour and I was scared to lose the healthiness of my hair so I tried to do a very understated ombre look. I thought if I added brown to the bottom of the hair it would succeed. I was going for something like CeCe from New Girl.

hannah simone as cece from new girl

I really tried hard but what I got was this:

subtle ombre look by zaamissbowtie

AND the effect is only this strong in sunlight. I got this from using Revlon Colorsilk Luminista colour in LIGHT BROWN. It was a lengthy process and I am a little disappointed with the result, but it is summer and outside this hair looks fabulous and it will grow out pretty quickly too!

Also, I hate pictures with no make-up, but I had to snap these in sunlight. So I could demonstrate it best.

• Reply Charlene β™‘ September 20, 2012 at 5:02 pm

LOVE it! So beautiful – the funny thing is I’ve always envied people with jet black hair. I’ve never even tried to dye my hair black. But I did dye my hair chocolate brown once, which I loved πŸ™‚

• Reply zaamissbowtie September 20, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Thanks Charlene πŸ™‚ always want the opposite of what we have! I was so scared to finally change my hair colour but I am so glad I did!

• Reply Zara September 20, 2012 at 6:15 pm

I’m curious. If you have black hair, how did you expect the colour to catch as a light brown if you didn’t pre-lighten it first? I don’t think it’s fair to be dissapointed if you hadn’t managed your expectations correctly. It still looks lovely though.

• Reply zaamissbowtie September 20, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I didn’t expect the list brown πŸ™‚ I knew that it wouldn’t give the colour advertised so I bought a lighter colour. Thanks πŸ™‚ Next time I think I’ll try to get it to light brown and see what it’s like.

• Reply B October 19, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Did you get it done professionally? I used to box dye my hair which caused YEARS of damage so just be careful of that. I’ve recently lightened the ends of my hair with the ombre trend at my salon and am in love with it!

• Reply zaamissbowtie October 19, 2012 at 2:16 pm

No I just did it myself. I did it on a whim, and I haven’t dyed my hair before this for that particular reason! I think I’m going to keep the colouring to a minimum, but I apply olive oil overnight before every wash and it’s been great so far πŸ™‚

I really love the ombre trend, it’s great for girls who are scared to damage their hair and a nice subtle change πŸ™‚

• Reply Safiya Bhabha November 6, 2012 at 10:42 am

Looks great!:) I recently tried Ombre too but I’m too chicken to DIY it so I got it done at a salon here in CT … you have to start subtle and go lighter gradually if you don’t want your ends to get too damaged though … you can check out mine here if you want:) http://www.flutterandpout.com/everything-hair/ombre-hair-for-summer/