Girltalk on a Tuesday | Epilators

April 17, 2012

Braun Silk Epil EpilatorAs a brown girl, hair is something I have to deal with everyday of my life. While I have incredible, full, thick hair on my head, that trend seems to continue on my legs. It makes hair removal a nightmare. The amount of time and money I have spent trying to get my legs even semi hair-free equates to half my teenage lifetime.

I tried an epilator a while ago. It was my mum’s one from the 90s. Basically a crude coil attached to a machine, the coil would vibrate against your leg and pull out the hair. really painful and hardly effective.

Braun silk epil epilator
So why try epilators again?

The straight forward advantage for me is that it pulls the hairs out by the root, with less tendency of breaking than waxing has and the newer models can remove hair up to 2mm long. Which is the shaving length.

I got the Braun Silk-epil 3 from Pick n Pay at R150 and at that price I thought I’d give it a bash. This is an old model, the newer model is much better, but I didn’t find it at 4 Dischem stores, 4 Clicks stores, Game, Edgars or Pick n Pay’s in JHB.

Braun silk epil tweezers

It’s quite a small little device that has 20 tweezers attached to a barrel. The more expensive ones have 40 tweezers attached to a barrel. This barrel spins and the tweezers then grab all your rogue hairs.

My Verdict

I tried to do this to my 2mm long hair, but some of it was still stubble so it wasn’t as effective as it could be. However it removed most of the hairs that were long enough got pulled out.(ah, that familiar feeling of having hairs yanked out of their roots). It was definitely more painful on my thighs.

Would I use it?

Definitely. Even if you get one for R300, that’s just 2 months of salon appointments and it can definitely last you over a year. The regrowth would be the same as waxing, but you wouldn’t have to wait until it grew longer to have it waxed. I even tried using this on my underarms, which works, but requires a myprodol for the pain.

• Reply The Dolly Blogger April 17, 2012 at 9:05 am

I recently got an epilator too but I haven’t started using it yet – my friend has been using hers for 4 years now and her hair growth has dramatically reduced 🙂

• Reply Zaa.miss.bowtie April 17, 2012 at 9:16 am

Wow 🙂 Yeah I’ve heard such good things about them! I just took the plunge and did it 🙂

• Reply The Dolly Blogger April 17, 2012 at 9:36 am

You’re brave using it on your underarms – I think I’d start crying!

• Reply Beth April 17, 2012 at 9:35 am

it is painful when you first start using it, but it does get better , and the hair definitely gets less after some time.

• Reply hannahnietta April 17, 2012 at 9:55 am

sounds gud:)

• Reply Fatima April 17, 2012 at 11:01 am

I wonder if it would if you used that Emla skin anaesthetic if it would help with the pain? 🙂
    I’m considering turning to laser or IPL, but I don’t know where to go in JHB. There’s so many options!

• Reply Zaamissbowtie April 17, 2012 at 11:44 am

Yeah and it’s really a big thing choosing one, because if you go wrong. It can be SO BAD. let me know how that goes.

I do have a bit of Emla, maybe I should use it for my underarms! Thanks for reminding me 🙂

• Reply calmyourbeans April 30, 2012 at 4:29 pm

Reblogged this on calmyourbeans.

• Reply Barry Gurevich July 5, 2012 at 11:26 pm

When
    reading this post it reminded me of something I read the other month in a landrover
    Website, would there be any chance I could have the authors email address, Well
    Written blog thanks for the information.

• Reply Lampard April 20, 2013 at 2:54 pm

Epilator is a great machine for hair removal. For who is new and don’t know what model to choose, you can start here http://www.bestsellingreviews.com/Personal-Care/Epilator/